Not all medications found in Canada are cheaper than here in the US. Many of our generic brands are actually cheaper here in the US than in Canada. In fact, many Canadians use American online pharmacies to fill their generic prescriptions. But brand name drugs like Lipitor, can be found for in Canada for much less.
The reason generics don’t offer as much savings in Canada as they do here in the US is because of Canadian price controls. Price controls are stipulations that dictate the price of new drugs introduced into the market. This means that all drugs, brand name or generic, must stay in the same price range. Even though price controls will not allow for a new brand name medication to charge an outlandish amount of money, it also doesn’t allow for generic medication to be offered at substantially lower prices than the brand name alternative.
The top 7 drugs that offer substantial savings from foreign pharmacies are:
US Price Canadian Price Savings
1. Zocor 20mg $356.97 for 90 $222.87 for 100 38%
2. Lipitor 20mg $275.97 for 90 $199.36 for 100 28%
3. Zoloft 50mg $209.97 for 100 $172.50 for 100 18%
4. Celebrex 200mg $213.99 for 90 $133.49 for 100 38%
5. Zyprexa 10mg $559.99 for 90 $494.75 for 100 12%
6. Singulair 10mg $89.99 for 30 $65.99 for 30 27%
7. Pravacol 20mg $87.99 for 30 $65.99 for 30 25%